Windows and door on the west wall of the Morley Chemistry Laboratory, completed in 1910 based on a design by Charles F. Schweinfurth, in turn based on a plan prepared by Edward Williams Morley, for whom the building is named. Morley was a distinguished chemist who served on the Western Reserve faculty from 1869 until his retirement in 1906. While his name is most often associated with that of the Case physicist Albert Michelson in their joint 1887 research on “ether drift,” he is best known among scientists for his discoveries of the atomic weights of oxygen and hydrogen. The building, which once contained classrooms, laboratories, and faculty offices, is currently vacant as the university determines how best to use it in the future.
Lights in the portico at the main entrance to Kelvin Smith Library, the main library on the University's campus. It was dedicated in 1996 to the memory of A. Kelvin Smith, a 1922 alumnus of the Case School of Applied Science. With his brothers and other partners, he co-founded and led the company known today as the Lubrizol Corporation. He was a long-time trustee of the University, and with his late wife and other family members was a generous contributor to the institution. The building was designed by Hartman-Cox Architects of Washington, D.C., to occupy a central area between Thwing Center and Severance Hall that is known as the “heart of the campus.”
Decorative balcony at the third-floor level over the main (west) entrance to the Rockefeller Physics Building. The building is named for John D. Rockefeller, Cleveland resident and founder of the Standard Oil Company (part of BP since 1987), who contributed funds to Case School of Applied Science to construct a physics building. This gift was one of many that Rockefeller made to both Case and Western Reserve beginning in 1880. The building was completely renovated in 1995.
One of two sets of stairs leading up to the portico over the campus-side (west) entrance to Adelbert Hall. When Western Reserve College moved to this campus in 1882 as a result of a major gift from Amasa Stone, one of the conditions he set was that its undergraduate program would be named for his late son, Adelbert, who had died years earlier while a student at Yale. Western Reserve began to identify itself as a university shortly after the move, and Adelbert College became the name of the men's undergraduate college, parallel to the College for Women.
Brick pattern in a retaining wall at the southwest corner of the Morley Chemistry Laboratory, facing east toward the entrance to Schmitt Auditorium, See the entry for Image #1 for additional information about the building.
North wall of the west wing of Wade Commons, located in the North Residential Village. It was built as part of the residential complex developed by Western Reserve University in the 1960s, and was originally a center for dining and informal gatherings. It is currently home to the satellite housing office for the North Residential Village, as well as tutoring and group study spaces. It is named in memory of Ellen Garretson Wade, a charter member of the Advisory Council of Flora Stone Mather College who also served on the College Home Committee, which oversaw the College's residential facilities for students.
Large mural in the first-floor lobby of Strosacker Auditorium, which was built in 1958 to serve as a principal gathering place for Case Institute of Technology. Charles Strosacker was a 1906 alumnus of the Case School of Applied Science who had a long and distinguished career as vice president of the Dow Chemical Company. The auditorium is used regularly for lectures and other events as well as for some large classes, and is known throughout the region as the location of the annual Science Fiction Marathon, the 31 st edition of which took place in January 2006.
Dome to house an astronomical observatory atop the addition to the A. W. Smith Building, facing west on the Case Quadrangle. The original portion of the Smith Building was completed in 1939, and the addition shown here was appended in 1956. It is named for Albert W. Smith, an 1887 alumnus of the Case School of Applied Science who had a distinguished, 40-year career as Professor of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at Case. The building is currently used by the Department of Geological Sciences and the Department of Chemical Engineering.
Low, arc-shaped figure that is part of the Turning Point sculpture garden located north of the Mather Dance Center and west of Guilford House. All five of the sculptural elements in the garden are the work of the late Philip Johnson, the noted architect and native Clevelander. This piece was installed in 2000, as were most other pieces in the garden, but the central element, Turning Point, dates to 1997. These and most of the other outdoor sculptures on the Case campus are part of the John and Mildred Andrews Putnam Sculpture Collection. More information about the Putnam Collection can be found on the web at http://www.case.edu/artsci/arth/putnam/index.html.
Detail of the southern side of Spitball, a sculpture by the late artist Tony Smith, located in the center of the Case Quadrangle between Strosacker Auditorium and the Sears Library Building. Smith designed the form in 1961, and this large representation was installed on the campus in 1972. The sculpture is fabricated from Cor-Ten steel, and is intended to suggest the irregular path taken by a thrown baseball when a foreign substance has been attached to part of its surface (known familiarly as a “spitball”). This is one of the few outdoor sculptures on the campus that is not part of the Putnam Collection.
Stone inscription below the stained class window on the north wall of Harkness Chapel. Built in 1902 as a memorial to Florence Harkness Severance, the chapel was made possible through gifts from the Harkness family and from her husband, Louis Severance, to support the College for Women. It was designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth, architect of many of the region's most elegant buildings. The facility was used for many years by Mather College for convocations, assemblies, and compulsory chapel, but in recent years has become primarily a rehearsal and performance space for the Department of Music. The text is taken from Proverbs 31:31, which reads, “Give her of the fruit of her hands! Let her works praise her in the gates!”
Architectural element at the northwest corner of the bookstore section of Thwing Center, closest to Kelvin Smith Library. Built in 1909 or 1913 (date uncertain) as the home of the Excelsior Club, a private men's club, the oldest part of the complex was purchased in 1929 by Western Reserve University and became the institution's first university-wide library, named for Charles Franklin Thwing, WRU's president from 1890-1921. After 1957 it was used as a student center. In 1980 the building was significantly renovated based on a design by architect Don Hisaka and was joined with neighboring Hitchcock Hall by a new atrium and bookstore component.