Portion of the spiral wall enclosing a small amphitheater that is part of the Turning Point sculpture garden located north of the Mather Dance Center and west of Guilford House. All five of the sculptural elements in the garden are the work of the late Philip Johnson, the noted architect and native Clevelander who died earlier this year at the age of 98. The amphitheater and most of the other pieces in the garden were installed in 2000, but the central element, Turning Point, dates to 1997. This and most of the other outdoor sculptures on the Case campus are part of the John and Mildred Andrews Putnam Sculpture Collection. More information about the Putnam Collection can be found on the web at http://www.case.edu/artsci/arth/putnam/index.html.
Sun dial located along Euclid Avenue in front of the main entrance to Thwing Student Center. The dial is in the form of an armillary sphere, a classical teaching tool developed by the Greeks as a model of planetary relationships. According to an inscription around the base of the structure, this work was donated to the University by the local chapter of the Society for Creative Anachronism, an organization that celebrates the history and lore of pre-17 th century Europe.
Column at the southwest corner of the building formerly known as Hitchcock Hall and as “Thwing West” since 1979, when it became part of Thwing Student Center. Hitchcock was built as a private residence in 1897, and in 1916 became the administration building for the Cathedral Latin School, which was for a time located a few doors west on Euclid Avenue. The University acquired the property in 1926 for use as classroom and administrative space. The Spot, a social gathering place for students now located in Leutner Commons, began in the basement of Hitchcock in the 1970s.
North façade of DeGrace Hall, facing Adelbert Hall. Completed in 1899 based on a Gothic design by Charles F. Schweinfurth, the building has housed the University's Department of Biology continuously since then. In 2001, the building was significantly renovated and was integrated into the Agnar Pytte Center for Science Education and Research, which also includes the Millis Science Center, Clapp Hall, Schmitt Auditorium, and the Hovorka Atrium. It is named for Mayme and William DeGrace, generous friends of the University whose support helped make possible the 2001 improvements.
Roof line of the north façade of the Weatherhead School of Management's Peter B. Lewis Building, facing George Gund Hall, home of the School of Law. Designed by noted architect Frank O. Gehry and completed in 2002, the building provides offices, classrooms, seminar and meeting rooms, and ancillary space for the Weatherhead School. In designing the unusual structure, Gehry used a computer-assisted design tool known as “CATIA” to achieve the undulating surfaces of the walls and roof. Lewis, chairman of the Progressive Corporation, was the principal contributor to the project.
Snow Fence, a painted metal sculpture by Gene Kangas, located in Claud Foster Park, between the Thwing Student Center and Mather House, facing Euclid Avenue. Completed and installed in 1981, Snow Fence is another in the series of outdoor sculptures made possible by the John and Mildred Andrews Putnam Sculpture Collection. Kangas is Professor Emeritus at Cleveland State University.
Stone marker currently embedded in the small garden area near the southwest corner of Adelbert Hall. The marker was originally part of the walls of the Physics Building, constructed in 1894 as a result of a gift from trustee and donor Samuel Mather. The Physics Building was located immediately east of the present site of the Millis Science Center, which opened in 1962 as the new home of the Physics Department. The Physics Building was used for other purposes for several years and was removed in the 1977.
Lamp on low wall leading to the main entrance of the George S. Dively Executive Education Center, located at the southeast corner of Bellflower and Ford Roads. Built in 1994 to accommodate the Weatherhead School of Management's rapidly expanding programs in continuing and executive education, the building echoes the residential style of other nearby structures. The late George Dively, a long-time member of the University's Board of Trustees, was the chief executive officer of the Harris Corporation.
Archway connecting the southwest corner of Guilford House to the Mather Dance Center, and leading pedestrians southward toward Euclid Avenue. Guilford was built in 1892, and the arch was added in 1908 when MDC, then known as the Mather Gymnasium, was built to replace the former gym for Mather College students on the top floor of Clark Hall.
Steel sculpture located along the east wall of the Bingham Building. The sculpture was designed for the American Iron and Steel Institute and was installed in fall 2004. It was donated by Burger Iron & Steel as a teaching tool illustrating the various connections used in steel buildings, and is similar to structures in place at most civil engineering departments across the country. The foundation design and installation was a project of the ENGR 101 Freshmen Engineering Projects class.
Twist, a sculpture by Athena Tacha, located in Harris Park along Bellflower Road just south of the School of Law and west of the Weatherhead School of Management. Made of sandstone, it was installed in 1981 thanks to support from the John and Mildred Andrews Putnam Sculpture Collection. Tacha is a native of Greece who was for many years a member of the faculty of Oberlin College.
Morning Star, a stainless steel sculpture by John Barlow Hudson of Yellow Springs, Ohio. The highly reflective piece is currently located along the north wall of Eldred Theater, where it was moved after its original installation in 1982 along the east façade of Amasa Stone Chapel. This work is also part of the John and Mildred Andrews Putnam Sculpture Collection.
Institute for the Study of the University in Society| 10900 Euclid Avenue| Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7021
| Phone: 216.368.2339 | Part of: College of Arts & Sciences
© 2004 Case Western Reserve University | Cleveland, Ohio 44106 | 216.368.2000 | legal notice