Michelson-Morley Research Competition in the Biological Sciences
What: This is an annual research competition held during the spring semester for all CWRU undergraduates who have conducted research at CWRU or other universities which is biologically related.When: April 18, 2014
Application Deadline: March 21, 2014
The competition honors the collaborative research initiated in 1885 between Albert A. Michelson, a Case physicist, and Edward W. Morley, a Western Reserve Chemist, which culminated in the Michelson-Morley experiment of 1887. This experiment negated the ether theory of space and constituted some of the experimental findings basic to Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity. This program is supported by the Department of Biology.
To apply for the competition students must:
- Write a paper in the form of a journal article on your biological, biochemical, biopsychological, or biomedical research carried out at any institution in 2013 or 2014.
- Fill out an entry form: Michelson Morley Application 2014
- (Also available in DeGrace Hall, Room 203 or 207 or request via email at email@example.com)
- Submit all materials to the Biology Office, Room 207, DeGrace Hall by March 21, 2014. May also be submitted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org) Please submit an electronic version of your paper.
- Apply for the SOURCE Symposium. If accepted to present at Michelson-Morley you will also be credited with SOURCE (but you must apply). Application online at www.case.edu/source/symposium) Not all Michelson-Morley applicants are assured a public presentation.
The finalists selected will give oral presentations on April 18, 2014. A panel of judges will determine the winners.
$300 First Prize
$200 Second Prize
$100 Third Prize
For additional information contact Katie Bingman at (216) 368-4301 or email@example.com , Department of Biology, DeGrace Hall, room 207