- Princeton University, Department of Art & Archeology. M.F.A. 1984 (with distinction), Ph.D. October 1990. Dissertation: "Rembrandt and Saint Jerome." 1982-90
- Williams College Graduate Program in the History of Art, M.A., as Kress Fellow. 1979-81
- Wellesley College, B.A. magna cum laude, major in history, minors in art history and English, 1978. 1974-78
- Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH. Assistant Professor 1995-2001, Associate Professor 2001 - .
- Associate Director, Baker Nord Center for the Humanities, 1999 - . Specialized courses: Dutch and Flemish Painting; Rembrandt; History of Prints; 17th and 18th Century French Art; Northern Renaissance Art; History of Photography 1995-present
- Assistant Professor, Fairfield University, Fairfield, CT. 1992-95
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH. 1991-92
- J. Paul Getty Graduate Intern, Paintings Department, The J. Paul Getty Museum, Malibu, CA. 1990
- Lecturer, 1985-86, and preceptor, 1983-85, Department of Art & Archaeology, Princeton University. 1983-86
- Gallery researcher and administrator, Noortman & Brod, Ltd., New York City. 1981-82
- Co-curator of exhibition, "Cubism and American Photography, 1910-1930," for the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, MA. 1980-81
- Gallery lecturer, Clark Art Institute, and teaching assistant, Williams College. 1980-81
- Research assistant, Department of Paintings, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. 1979
- Rembrandt, Reputation, and the Practice of Connoisseurship, Amsterdam University Press, 2004.
- "Rembrandt and the Northern Renaissance," in Laurinda S. Dixon, ed., In Detail: New Studies of Northern Renaissance Art in Honor of Walter S. Gibson , Brepols, 1999.
- "Rembrandt's Reformation of a Catholic Subject: the Repentant and the Penitent Saint Jerome", Sixteenth Century Journal , April 1999.
- "Rembrandt's Nocturne Prints," On Paper 1:3 (January-February 1997): 13-17.
- "Rembrandt's Etching Saint Jerome Reading in an Italian Landscape . The Question of Finish Reconsidered." Delineavit et Sculpsit , journal for Netherlandish print studies, no. 8, October 1992, pp. 1-11.
- Contributor of entries on drawings by Anthony van Dyck, Jacob Jordaens, and Abraham van Diepenbeeck to the exhibition catalogue Old Master Drawings from the Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design Ed. Deborah Johnson. Providence: Rhode Island School of Design, 1983.
- Autour des Impressionistes . Exhibition catalogue. New York: Noortman & Brod, Ltd., 1982.
- Co-author of the exhibition catalogue Cubism and American Photography, 1910-1930 . Williamstown: Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, 1981.
- Contributor to the exhibition catalogue Rembrandt fecit: A Selection of His Etchings . Ed. Julius S. Held. Williamstown: Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, 1981.
"Rembrandt Connoisseurship and Questions of Attribution: Three Case Studies," an interactive CD-ROM prepared by the Institute for Learning Sciences at Northwestern University, 1996-97.